El FMLN solo no puede ganar la presidencia. Necesita aliados. El FMLN se unirá con los sectores que no quieren a ARENA en el poder y que quieran darle continuidad al cambio.At the same time, Sancez Ceren discarded the possibilities of forming electoral alliances with the GANA, the PES, and the CN. The FMLN is willing, however, to work with these groups in the Legislative Assembly.
He made these statements at the opening of an Alba Masferrer Sur gasoline station in the capital, the twenty-seventh such station in the country. El Salvador's agreement with PetroCaribe allows it to pay 60% of the gasoline upfront and the remaining 40% over 25 years at 1% interest.
Unfortunately for the FMLN, there are few parties to ally with once you cross ARENA, GANA, PES and CN off the list. And, with Sanchez Ceren's selection, none of them might have been interested in allying with the FMLN anyway. His selection doesn't just turn non-ARENA voters away but non-ARENA deputies.
The lower cost gasoline is helpful for the people of El Salvador and the FMLN, but it doesn't show up on the list of Funes' most important accomplishments. From what I recall, it also didn't help those FMLN mayors in the capital back in March's election.
Fortunately for the FMLN, free school uniforms and better education do emerge as two successes of the current administration which might help the current Vice President and Minister of Education.
Salvador Sanchez Ceren is right. Today's polls are just a snapshot of what people think today and today is a long time before the 2014 elections. I'm not comforted by his argument that the FMLN has its own internal polls which presumably tell a different story (where have we heard that before?), but he is correct in saying that a lot can happen before he and Quijano vie to be the country's next president.